Summer Solstice Shenanigans
As someone who is new to this whole….facet(?) of life, I feel like there is always something new to learn! I’m’one who likes to dive in head first into the deep end and worry about what is below the surface and how I’m going to deal with it later. Sometimes, it works out in my favor and its amazing…and sometimes I end up with candles that are basically a giant fire hazard and the smoke alarms go off when you try to use them. Live and learn right?
My favorite part of this whole process has been learning all about crystals. Which ones are used for what, which ones work together, how to feel their energy, how to work with them, which ones do (or don’t) go in water, and occasionally, which ones make great projectiles 😉. My other favorite part is the ritual of it all- and how there literally is something for everybody. If one thing doesn’t work for you, there will be at least three other options out there. Or, even better, you can create your own. I’ve taken different parts of four rituals (with the same intent) and combined them into one and added some of my own flavor to it and came out with some really great personal, meaningful rituals.
If you choose to celebrate summer solstice, find something that resonates with you. If you don’t know where to start, check out some of these rituals:
- Crystal gridding. Combining sacred geometry + the power of crystals = really great things. Unsure of what pattern to place your crystals in, or which ones to place where? Take a deep breath. Actually, take 10. Sit with your crystals. Meditate on your intent. Ask them. Ask your spirit guides. See what you’re drawn to do. I also find using gridding cloths really helpful. If you want to be super fancy you could get a wood burned gridding plate. You can grid with as few as two crystals or as many as you have on you. Wondering if there are certain crystals that are best for summer solstice? Make it through this ritual list and I’ll list them at the bottom!
- Make a prayer tree. Place specific prayers for those who need healing and guidance and any other prayers you feel called to add.
- Create a mandala from items found in nature. Remember to thank the universe/God for these items and really take time to appreciate your surroundings. Show your gratitude for nature.
- Whether you choose to do this outside in nature, or if meditating in the tub is more your speed- do it. Spend 10-15 minutes just soaking up the amazing energy provided to us by this event, and ground yourself.
- Sunrise/sunset yoga. Find a quiet area if you can and take in the amazing experience of a yoga flow with the flow of the sun.
- Watch the sunrise/sunset. Seriously. Its just that easy. Take the time to unplug and just watch the sunset in all of its glory until it appears/disappears over the horizon. Look at all the colors. Feel the breeze. Listen to the sounds of nature.
- Make flower crowns.
- Ask yourself some of these questions:
- What have I been too busy or too preoccupied to really appreciate or celebrate about my life?
- What are some self care practices I can do to fuel my inner fire?
- What do you miss from your childhood? If possible, how can you re-integrate parts of those things that brought you joy back into your current life?
You may be asking yourself at this point: “I wonder if there are any specific crystals/items that work best for the summer solstice?” Well. Yes and no. To my knowledge there is not one crystal/herb out there with the soul purpose of being used for summer solstice specifically. However- there are so many wonderful crystals to utilize based on your intention. The summer solstice is a great time focus intent on self-love, protection, personal growth, healing, and faery magik. Here is a quick list of various items you can use in amplifying your given intent:
- Crystasl: citrine, sunstone, tiger’s eye, moss agate, peridot, amber, carnelian, topaz, bloodstone, garnet, obsidian, lapis, aquamarine, sapphire, moonstone, selenite, emerald
- Herbs + flowers: basil, calendula, camomille, daisy, heather, lavender, mugwart, peony, roses, vervain, sunflower, carnation, sandalwood, cinquefoil
- Incense + oils: cedar, clove, frankincense, lavender, lemon, mint, myrrh, orange, pine, rose, sage, saffron, sandalwood
The most important thing to remember is the best tools to use are the ones you have. There are so many ways to celebrate summer solstice with whatever you have- no matter the size of your “arsenal.” Do what feels best for you- and remember to focus your intent. Your intent is your most powerful tool.
Jeniffer is an international wedding and boudoir photographer who bounces between Florida and Montana. She’s a firm believer in mandarin oranges on pizza and the power of knowing your soul tribe. When she and her kids aren’t road tripping or adventuring, they’re probably arguing over whether or not it's bedtime or they’re eating pancakes.
A self proclaimed rock hoarder, she enjoys working with #alltherocks and reading tarot. She is currently working on reiki and always looking to up her meditation and yoga game.